Mason turned 12 last month. It was a big event here. We got to go camping in an a beautiful national park up in the mountains. For Mason's birthday he wanted to go camping and fulfill some of his scout requirements (no mention of it from mom or dad, he brought it up all on his own). Pretty amazing kid, right? So our family, along with a good friend of Mason's packed up and drove about an hour up this road that I had never seen the likes of before in all my life. It was crazy, but oh the views! When I say switchbacks, I truely mean switchbacks. WOW.
It was rural, but not too rural. There was a campsite (for tents only) with BBQ pits dotted here and there. And even a toilet and sink, with running (don't drink it though) water. And it was all kept very nicely. So we camped next to this rushing river in the mountains and enjoyed. Also you must remember that seeing the stars here is amazing. I look up and think of God everytime. For one requirement Mason had to cook two meals, so for both dinner and breakfast, tinder and wood were collected and fires made. I love to camp and this was no exception (OK, I do not like the cleanup when we get home, but technically that is not part of the camping right, it is at home not at the site). We took two cars and after breakfast and breaking down camp I headed down with Easton and Mark took the older boys on a hike. Which he took some really good pictures of, but when he went to get them off his phone happened to loose everything (I mean phone went blank of ALL data, a sad day). So no pics of the hike but a couple others.
Sunday was his actual birthday and we celebrated at home with a favorite dinner, presents, and cake. Mason is growing up and becoming more independent. He is able to do a lot more than I give him credit for. He is a good kid that chooses the right in often very difficult situations. He has been put in a very hard situation moving to Chile, school has proven difficult, but he is doing it. Despite the bumps he just keeps on going. Mason has a good sense of humor and quick wit. He loves to read, swim, and run. He loves to hike and camp. And even though he is getting older he will still give me hugs. Mason has done some things here that have made me so proud to be his mother. I am grateful for his example and his testimony of Christ. Happy 12th little guy!
2 comments:
Happy Birthday Mason! 12 is such a big year!
I love that picture of Drew and Mason on the couch together, they look so much alike!
Happy Birthday Mason! We think you are great!!! We are so proud of all you are accomplishing!
Post a Comment