Thursday, February 28, 2013

More sights of Santiago

The kids were back to school after their two month summer break on Feb. 18th, so a couple of days later (with Easton at a friends) we headed down to the city center.  We saw the changing of the guard at La Moneda (originally where money was printed, then as the president's residence, now as government buildings.  Every other day the military pays homage to history by changing the guard.  Then we walked to the very center of the city to Plaza de Aramas to visit the plaza where the original conquistadors   set up the city.  We went into the cathedral and the post office museum.  Then walked down to the fish market to see the activity there.  Then took the metro back to the car.  Afterwards we finished up with a nice late lunch.
Changing of the guard.  It started with a parade with band and horses from a few blocks away,  then band music, marching, weapon stuff, soldiers coming out, new ones going in, etc.  I was so glad that we went and I plan on taking my kids to see it soon.  Also I realized after I took about 20 pictures that I didn't have an SD card in my camera and ended up using my phone, so photos not so good.  However as we walked the couple of blocks to the plaza I picked one up, so the rest of the trip was much better (hate when that happens).
The parade out. 
This is so downtown.  These officers had this entourage of stray dogs.  Where ever the officers went these 6 dogs followed.
In the plaza.


The post office
Inside the post office is a nice little museum about the history of the mail and telegraph systems in Chile.  I really enjoyed it.  It is small and takes only about 15 minutes, but it is free.
In the center of the plaza.

No comments: