Thursday, February 7, 2013

Valparaiso

We took a little vacation to the coast at the end of January.  We explored the city of Valparaiso, which is about 1 hour 20 minutes from here due west.  Valparaiso is a city full of history, as it has served as the big port city of Chile for hundreds of years.  And before the Panama canal it was a hopping place.  It is where everything that is imported comes into the country (and where our container with all our belongings came and will eventually leave and go through customs).  It is a city built on hills, like a San Francisco (but with one lane roads that masquerade as two lane roads and that people park on even though there is no parking.




We stayed in some wonderful apartments, that were modern and beautiful, in a neighborhood that gave a true experience of the town.  We had amazing views and as is typical we had a lot of stairs to descend or climb (depending on coming or going).

The funiculars act as public transportation in the city.  They were a fun part of the city.

Often on the weekends in Sotomayor square, right near the port, there are theater or dance groups performing.  We say this amazing performance of people climb up these flexible poles and then dip and dance all over the air.  I have never seen anything like it, it defied gravity.





I loved the colors.
Valparaiso is known for it's artistic graffiti.

 We spent one day at a beach a bit north and on the way we stopped to sand sled.  I have to say, you would never see something like this in the States, it is a law suit waiting to happen.  There are a few people who rent you these boards from their car to sled down what I am sure is public sand dunes, no waivers, no nothing.  Just hand over your money, bring back the board in an hour.  OK.




A day of shell seeking, penguin watching, boogie boarding, water, and sand.



There were hundreds of penguins and pelicans hanging out on this little island  just off the tip of the beach.  





1 comment:

Stephanie said...

I love seeing all your pictures, it is awesome to see a place I've never been! And sand sledding sounds so fun!!!